Third Trimester Abortion
Only allowed in a few states
D & E: Dilation & Evacuation – over 22 weeks/cost approx. $2,200
- In most cases, a 24 hour prior to the actual procedure, the abortion provider will insert luminaria or a synthetic dilator inside the cervix.
- Cone-shaped rods of increasing size are used to continue the dilation process.
- The cannula is inserted to begin the removing the tissue away from the lining. Then using a curette, the lining is scraped to remove any residual tissue.
- If needed, forceps may be used to remove the larger parts.
- The procedure normally takes about 30 minutes.
Risks and side effects
The risks and side effects for D & E are the same as D & C, but more severe.
Most D & E procedures are performed in a hospital setting due to the increased risks of severe complications. Although rare, additional risks related to D & E are damage of the uterine lining or cervix, infertility, infections, and blood clots.
Some symptoms can indicate an emergency complication stemming from your abortion. If you experience these symptoms get emergency care at once.
- Excessive heavy bleeding
- Strong-smelling vaginal discharge
- Severe abdominal pain
“Given the anatomical evidence, it is possible that the fetus can feel pain from 20 weeks and is caused distress by interventions from as early as 15 or 16 weeks”.
1 LMP – Last Menstrual Period
2 Glover V. Fisk. NM (1999). “Fetal Pain: implication for research and practice”. Br J Obster Gynacol, 106(9):881-6
"Choices is the right “choice” to make! The staff is warm and friendly and accept you with open arms! I highly recommend choosing Choices! They treat you like family!"
"Choices is a welcoming and non-judgmental place. They have so much helpful information and free pregnancy tests and sonograms too."
"A great resource for any women dealing with a unexpected pregnancy!"
"My counselor at Choices Pregnancy Center was very informative, helpful and we really benefited from all of the resources and information that she provided. She was very open and warm and we really felt comfortable in her presence."